Saturday, August 18, 2007

Hangover Free Saturday

Despite my ongoing efforts to minimize my spending, I’ve still managed to go out every Friday night. Last night was the first to the contrary as I saved some money by doing laundry at my folks' house and I and my friends were too tired to go out by the time we got back up to Buffalo.

So in lieu of sleeping through a hangover today, I was able to get up at the incredibly early (weekend) time of 10:00AM. I almost felt like a normal adult—it’s not the best feeling in the world, but it has an (only) advantage over a hangover in that you aren’t required to shake through it—as I went food shopping first thing on my Saturday morning. I made my first trip to Guercio’s in almost three weeks and was immediately reminded why I love that place so damn much after only spending $11.70 on what will be most of my food for the week.

From there I came back to prepare for something that I’ve done every year with my friends that I’ve known ever since elementary school. And even though I have an increasingly waning interest in it, one that has prevented me from being competitive in it in years, it does keep me in touch with them and it is, after all, free. I speak of course of our fantasy football draft. (My teams have gotten so bad that my keeper this year was Rudi Johnson.)

The draft started at 1:00 so I naturally began preparing for it at just about 12:40 for the first time. And of course, even though I had the second pick overall, my preference was taken first and I was left to settle for plan B. All told the draft took a little more than two hours, which isn’t even that long, but by the end I was getting terribly impatient because today was a beautiful, cool summer day and I didn’t care to be wasting it indoors sitting at my computer (I am currently indoors sitting at my computer writing this -ed.)

So as soon as we finished (Michael Vick was my last pick) I was almost immediately on my bike. Come fall I'll be more (but still not overwhelmingly) willing to waste time on the Internet. But summer is too short to be letting it pass me by.

No comments: